Areas of activities
- Maintaining and improving fund/genetic heritage of potato, medicinal plants, turkeys and cattle.
- Creating new potato varieties through conventional and unconventional methods using wild species and cultivars with good adaptation to Romania conditions, disease resistance, which better use the ecological and technological resources.
- Improving the quality of seed potato and promotion of biotechnology (in vitro cultures, micro and minitubers).
- Development the physiological bases of production formation, modeling and simulation of potato and sugar beet growth.
- Elaboration of integrated and differentiated potato and sugar beet cultivation technologies with low, non-polluting and economical energy consumption.
- Elaboration of forecasting and warning methods for control of major diseases and major pests.
- Management of potato and sugar beet production, turkey and cattle breeding.
- Use of information technology on management and marketing of potato production and sugar beet.
- Elaboration of studies on zoning and micro-zoning, management and marketing of potato, and sugar beet.
- Application of national and European standards for production of seed potatoes, sugar beet seed production, potato quality standards.
National and international affiliations
- European Association for Potato Research (EAPR)
- International Confederation of Sugar Beet Growers in Europe (CIBE)
- Working Group of the World Network BETA National Institute for Plant Genetic Resources in Rome.
- Product councils (potato, beet, medicinal plants)
- Association of producers and processors of medicinal and aromatic plants in Romania (APPMAR).
- Romanian National Potato Federation
- Eco-sano-genesis Society of Romania
- Society for Ecological Agriculture
- CAgR, Romanian Society of Ethnofarmacology
- National Federation of Sugar Beet Growers in Romania
- The Romanian Agrarian History and Retrology Society,
- Association of Breeders and Producers of Seed and Planting Material from Romania.
Technologies / Varieties / Seed production
- Weed control technology in sugar beet crops.
- Modernized sugar beet cultivation technology with optimization of production factors.
- Modernized fertilizer technology for sugar beet crop.
- Modernized sugar beet seed multiplication technology.
- Creation of 9 varieties of sugar beet, of which 5 genetically monogerm varieties: Stupini, Monorom, Braşov 519, Bârsa, Andra.
- Creation of 34 potato varieties, 17 listed in the Official Catalog, multiplied with priority: Roclas, Christian, Dacia, Amelia, Nicoleta, Tâmpa and Rustic.
- Specific technology for multiplication of Romanian sugar beet varieties Bârsa, Braşov, Polirom.
- 10 to 15 thousand micro-plans obtained annually by in vitro cultures.
- Approximately 150 t seed potato from superior biological categories (clonal material and pre-base), intended for production of certified seed (base, class A and B).
- Performance, non-polluting technology for increasing potato conservation (preservation) duration.
- Technology for electric field treatment of seed potato in order to increase the quality of product and yield per hectare.
- Electro-hydrodynamic technology and equipment for application of protective substances on potato crops.
- Specific multiplication technology for trilineal triploid monogerm sugar beet hybrid Andra.
- Delivery of 10-15 thousand free micro-plants, produced annually. Beneficiaries: Clonal material producers. Economic effect: obtaining superior initial clonal material with high quality. Technological transfer.
- Delivery of about 150 tons seed potatoes per year as clonal and pre-base material. Beneficiaries: certified seed producers. Economic effect: obtaining seed potato with adequate phyto-sanitary quality, according to U.E standards.
- Expansion in culture of Romanian potato varieties. Beneficiaries: potato producers and consumers. Economic effect: obtaining high potato yield (production); reducing inputs and cost price; avoid import.
- Expansion in culture of Romanian sugar beet.varieties. Beneficiaries: sugar beet growers and sugar factories.
- Use of dihaploid forms in potato breeding.
- Getting potato and sugar beet varieties with superior characteristics.
- Production of seed potato with higher biological categories and superior quality indices.
- Performance, non-polluting technology to increase potato conservation duration.
- Monitoring the late blight populations (Phytophtora infestans) to identify A2 patho-type.
- AGROEXPERT system for forecasting and warning potato late blight.
- Identification of over 200 species of migratory aphids, virus vectors on seed potato crops.
- Promotion of precision agriculture technologies in potato crop.
- Applying modern methods of soil testing by drawing the conductivity maps in order to optimize fertilizing technology.
- High-performance spraying system for mineral oils, mixed with insecticides, used to control aphids, vectors of viruses on seed potato crops.
- Dynamic electro-hydraulic technology and equipment for application of protective substances on potato crops.
- Production of seed of superior biological categories from Romanian sugar beet varieties.
- Organizing the International Symposium EAPR Agronomy Section Meeting, Mamaia, Romania, June 23 – 27, 2004.